Friday, May 12, 2017

My MP replies

Six months ago, I wrote Hedy Fry -  my Federal Liberal Party of Canada Member of Parliament, to express my appreciation for the Liberal Party for restoring funding to UNRWA. UNRWA - the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East - is the UN agency responsible for providing services that include, education, medical and psychological health care, relief and social services to some five million Palestinian refugees. The prior Conservative Government of Canada, under Stephen Harper, cut aid to UNRWA in a misguided and mean-spirited act related to kowtowing to Zionist pressure and Islamophobic racism.

I take some small comfort in the idea that a simple letter can ripple through a vast bureaucracy and moreover hopefully play a role in bringing health and social justice to a traumatized people.  Lasting peace is of course contingent on ending the longstanding, brutal military occupation of Palestine.

Here is my letter:

Dear Hedy Fry MP,

Greetings from English Bay, Vancouver! 

I just want to let you know that I am very pleased that you and the Liberal Government made the wise, humanitarian and indeed compassionate decision to restore support for the UN agency assisting Palestinian refugees. I know personally that the work UNRWA does in Gaza is of profound importance. Earlier this year I was there with a medical and psychological delegation providing training to mental health professionals treating the traumatized Palestinian population. UNRWA's work is necessary. I saw it myself. Their schools, mental health and medical programs are superb. Without their dedication and professional contributions, this beleaguered society's suffering would be far greater then what it already is. As you can well imagine, the psychosocial needs of Palestinian refugees are enormous and so I was glad to see aid was reinstated. Parenthetically, I am sorry that misguided and self-serving organizations have voiced criticism of the decision. I can assure you the accusations are baseless. People in Palestine are deeply traumatized and providing assistance to alleviate pain is obviously the ethical thing to do.

Yours sincerely, 
John Soos, PhD 
Vancouver, BC V6G 1N2

And her is her reply:

Dear Dr. Soos,

Thank you for writing my office to voice your support for the UNRWA and the well-being of Palestinian refugees. I appreciate hearing from constituents, as it keeps me grounded and helps me to focus on your priorities as your Member of Parliament.

Canada is back. Our funding of $25 million will directly support the education and health care needs of vulnerable Palestinian refugees.  With this funding, Canada joins all other G7 countries in supporting UNRWA’s efforts to meet the ever increasing needs of Palestinian refugees, assist in providing basic services for vulnerable people, and contribute to stability in the region. As with all Canadian development and humanitarian programming in the West Bank and Gaza, enhanced due diligence will ensure that the aid we provide will go where it’s needed. 

These contributions will help approximately 5.5 million Palestinian refugees – particularly women and children – receive the assistance they need, including access to healthcare and the opportunity to go to school. Access to a quality education is the key to the future of young Palestinians in allowing them to play a positive role in their communities. This is crucial for peace, stability and security in the region.

Once again, thank you for your positive email in support of UNRWA funding. Please do not hesitate to write again should you have any further questions, on this topic or any other.

Sincerely,


Hon. Hedy Fry, P.C., M.P.
Vancouver Centre


No comments:

Post a Comment